The municipality of Saint-Mathias-sur-Richelieu has carried five different names throughout its history. It stretches along the Richelieu River and the Chambly Basin. It began as a strategic location near Chambly, and later became a sizable commercial port on the Richelieu. Today, it is a peaceful, primarily agricultural village, with a beautiful church from 1817 and half a dozen beautiful historical homes, along with water activities for tourists. It has a pretty riverside park, called the “Parc des Voiles” which is very popular among windsurfers, picnickers and even, depending on the season, traditional dance lovers.